Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Where Presidents Are Made


Today, 30 years ago, President Ronald Reagan was shot in the chest in an attempted assassination. So I thought I'd write about him. He is the only president to survive being shot while in office.

He was a good man and honored God and lived life very simply.

We were in Dixon yesterday and learned a lot about Ronald Reagan. Then, on our way back, we drove through Tampico to visit his home town.

What fascinated me most was where he was born. It was on February 6th, 1911, in an apartment above a bakery, during a blizzard.

In this room:

I imagined him as a little boy, chatting to his mom in the kitchen, or playing on the piano or talking loudly and coming up stairs with dirty boots.



His family moved from the apartment when he was 4 month old, so he wouldn't have been walking around in that house, but I love to see how our great men of America are regular people and are chosen by regular people to be leaders, not because of blood or right, but because of the values they, as leaders, hold and the values that America holds.

People's hearts are reflected in the men they choose to lead them.



Reagan's Mother took him to the little protestant church in their town every Sunday till he was ten years old and this could be part of the reason he held strong Christian views.
...Because of his Mother.

  George Washington's Mother also had great influence in the life of her son after his Father died when he was just eleven.
Without her, he might not have been the man he was...

Ronald Reagan said, "Each generation goes further than the generation preceding it because it stands on the shoulders of that generation."

It is so important that we teach Christian values to our children, because
 they are not in our nature...

I believe that to teach my children will be the most important thing I do, aside from honoring
God and my husband.
 Who knows, I might be raising a future president...

Without leaders who value home and family and the authority of God's law word, America,
as we know it, will die.


"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."

"Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged."

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face."

                                                                               
   ~Ronald Reagan~

A lot of what Ronald Reagan fought for only bore fruit on the next president's watch and Reagan did not get the credit for it, but he did it anyway, because he was living to the future...


He had a fun side to him. After being shot, his first words to his wife were: "Honey, I forgot to duck."

He loved jellybeans and he said, "You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans."
I wonder how he ate jellybeans.




Sola Scriptura!
~Taralyn Rose~

2 comments: