I can never stick to just one book, read it through, put it back on the shelf and take down another book to read. My big sis, Tasha does that. She mostly reads books on farming. I'm reading...let me check...no less than 8 books. Some are writing books, some poetry, some history, some theology, some child-training, some fiction. Some of them I havn't picked up for months, but will still finish one day. Some I finished months ago, but still go back to every now and then to read my favorite parts. Some, after about two years, when I still haven't stopped loving them, go on my 'favorites' shelf. I have only one shelf of favorites and I think it'll stay that way, because some book go in and out of being favored (the one's I didn't actually really like) and I've realized that there are very few books that I
really like. I've thought about that and I figure I read mostly to learn, or else I'd never read at all--or hardly. Reading purely for intertainment is difficult...
This post (my 2nd) doesn't seem to hold any point, except to say how I am around books =)
These are the ones I'm immediately on (not counting the ones waiting for me):
Ezra and Proverbs
by God
War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
Building the Nation
by Charles Coffin
The First Five Pages: A Writer's Guide to Staying Out of the Rejection Pile
by Noah Lukeman
I'm curious, what are you reading?
Maybe I should introduce my family now.
This is my Dad:
He is the pastor of our church, Covenant Reformed Church of Elk Grove
This is my Mom:
Her Great-Grandmother was the daughter of President Steyn of Bloemfontein, South Africa
This is my Sister:
She's 19 and she's very good and she's passionate about farming and she loves horses.
This is her on her favorite horse, Ginger:
This is me and her:
This is Calvin:
I don't know what he's saying to her, but I think it's cute =)
Skipping stones!!!
Well, that's about it! I have to go and make lunch now!
Tootles!
~Taralyn~
A truly beautiful blog, Taralyn. Thank you for posting it oh my website. How amazing that my father and President Steyn were such great friends and that my mother loved Tibbie so much! I have a photo of Phinie on the dresser in my bedroom, and I had a crush on her son when I was 14!
ReplyDeleteSmall world!
I'm so excited! My first comment and my first follower!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mrs. Warder =)
What I'm most excited about is what you said about Steyn and Tibbie. My Granny (who lives in Harare) has Tibbie's book, which she's translating from Africaans into English. Her Oma was Hannah. Sometime, I'll post a picture I have of them together.
But I don't know who Phinie is. Is he Steyn's son?
I wish I could sit down with you and have a chat.
It all used to seem like such distant history to me, now it seems so close.
I hope your writing is going well!
It was good to hear from you - I already feel I know you =)