Thursday, December 8, 2011

Angels in the Mud


When I was little, I thought that having birthdays on Sundays was the worst thing in the world, because birthdays were for getting up at ten o'clock, opening presents and eating a special breakfast, then going somewhere with my family and doing something exciting.
Possibly one thing worse than having birthdays land on Sundays was having them land on Fellowship Lunch Sundays (and I used to pray it never happen to me). 

But, now I'm old, and...
On Sunday it was my birthday and I turned eighteen [which is alarming] and it was the first Sunday of the month (thus, potluck) and I didn't eat breakfast, because I got up too late and I didn't open any presents.  


...But it was the best. It was as memorable as the one when we went to the city and saw the giant Christmas tree. The time Kaitlyn gave me the One Ring on the train. Maybe more so. I don't know.
  
Are you ready for a picture post? Well then.

I know. It was too cold for Frisbee, but we played anyway. Everybody borrowed everybody else's sweaters, and our fingers froze. Those peeps up there complained every time they caught the Frisbee (I'm in the picture too). It was fun, if not a good game. 


  
Dirty losers below.


Somehow, certain people began throwing mud at the ones who wanted mud thrown at them and then it wasn't a Frisbee game anymore. It was mud fights.
With goose poop in the mix, I guess. 




We were tame savages, yes, we were.







There were some fights and things.



And a dirty kitten or two.




He washed off in a puddle, because he had to go to a Christmas party so he couldn’t join in on the relay races, which were in four categories: hopping on one foot, crabwalk, army crawl and wheelbarrow.







With the left over mud they made angels. Yes, my sister is an angel, believe it or not.




So, that was our church potluck. We have one every month and most each time is different. Sometimes we play Frisbee or volleyball or football and are as civilized as you can imagine. Other times, not so…
I like to think that nobody on this earth has as much fun as we do, us Covenant Reformed Calvinist church kids.

...
It seems that, as I grow up, things become less about myself and more about other people, my family and friends. I care about them and appreciate them more than I ever thought I could, because I know this won't be forever. It's just one of the many blessings God gives me along the path of life. 

Against my will although I wend
I may not always tarry here;
For everything must have an end,
And even friends must part, I fear...
                          [From Sir Gawain and the Green Knight]








A candid shot of the Photographers.
I made it small so they might not be too mad at me.



[The Photographers wish to remain anonymous on account of bad lighting]

3 comments:

  1. That birthday trip to the city was so much fun! And I was rather mean with the gift-giving on the train, if I remember correctly... I suppose I thought you could never have too much suspense. 0=)
    I can't believe we're already this old... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I didn't think it was mean. I enjoyed the suspense - it made it more memorable, too ;-)

    I can't believe it either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love our church peeps. We have it so good, don't we?

    ReplyDelete