Friday, December 23, 2011

Blue Eyed Stranger

It's late, later than I'd like it to be
but I must write.

I've just finished The Count of Monte Cristo
I can't talk about it now
I must let it wait a while
as I think about it slowly
and let it sink in
until I'm ready to read another book

I'll write about a different day
in which a dog and an unfortunate chicken
crossed paths

This is the dog



I saw him through the french doors as he ran past our deck
a stranger dog with no person
I heard our neighbor's dad shout and saw him thwack the dog
and then grab its collar and drag him out of our yard
I said, "Tasha, there's a dog outside." She went to look
and a few minutes later I heard the doorbell ring
I saw it was Tasha out there so I shot back the bolt
but the bell rang again
so I opened the door myself and
there on the step was the dog wining and jumping
Tasha holding him by the chain around his neck
"He killed a chicken," she said. I said, "Which one?"
"Bryn. Could you opened the garage?"
I did and found a nylon rope which we looped through the ring on the dog's collar
We hadn't the slightest where he was from
Tasha tried the neighbors across from us
because they have a rather large dog like him but
the neighbor, who makes cars
had never seen the dog in his life so Tasha tied him to a tree
(the dog, that is)

I walked around back of the house in my bare feet
on the cold stones 
I had on only a cardigan and a skirt
but I didn't want to put on a coat because then I'd lose the point
of being outside, besides
I wasn't cold
I had enough warm inside my body to keep me happy

I found poor Kail crouching in the corner of the chicken shed
crooning in a shook, questioning voice
I told her it was ok and told her to stay put
as I called for Punk and Tarzan
At my whistle, Tarzan came crashing out of the woods
and shot into the shed beside Kail
Punk did not come

I found Bryn
dead
on the ground by the deck
Her fluffy underneath feathers
lay scattered around her
and her eyes'd already turned white

Tasha took poor Bryn by the feet and said she would try to bleed her
Tasha liked Bryn the best
I'd have preferred if the dead one was Kail
who is a stupid chicken
Tasha said that the dog had broken Bryn's back
so that she'd had to wring her neck
because the old girl was in lots of pain
Tasha knows what mercy is

I gave the dog a bowl of water
which he drank out of curiosity, rather than thirst
and I managed to get close and touch his head
and calm him down
because he was wild
he didn't even know how to sit when I told him to

I offered the dog something to eat and patted him again
I asked Dad if we could keep him
and guess what Dad said
he said, "No."
Tasha called the police and I watched the dog
from the library windows
He tipped the water out of his bowl then turned it upright again
Then he chewed his rope right in two
which sent us scrambling
Calvin ran for a cable and his biners
and Tasha coaxed the dog with a piece of chicken skin
but he ran at me instead
I took him by the collar and we attached him to the tree again

I petted him until my hands froze
and then went inside to watch through the window till the police came
to take the beautiful dog away
I wanted him so bad
but it was not to be

A police man came and chucked the crazy dog into the passenger seat
of his cab, the place where prisoners sit
and drove off

I want that dog

A few days later, Tasha plucked Bryn and removed her insides
Guess what we found inside her
a dozen eggs
each at a different stage of development
I'd show you a picture, but I sat on them before I could take it
I am clumsy
don't ask me how I managed
And Tasha cooked dear Bryn, the chicken with the crooked beak
and we ate her for dinner

She tasted fine, ok for a layer
though all she was
was skin and bones



In Memory of Bryn
~

[I'm afraid this is the best picture I could find of her]
See, grass used to get caught in her crooked beak 


...And all the best to the beautiful Huskey


If he was mine, I'd have called him Stormy



7 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Bryn, and that you couldn't keep the dog.

    About writing, I like the poetic nature of this post. There's something about the way you break the lines that adds to the story. Like:

    I found Bryn
    dead


    Putting the "dead" on the line by itself makes it more forceful. Putting this on a line by itself does the same thing:

    I want that dog

    It makes me feel sorry for you.

    Something else about writing. I learned about this genre called "slice of life" (see Wikipedia, especially the "Literature" section). I wonder if this might describe your writing style.

    Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stormy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡

    ReplyDelete
  3. So first you decide to stick out your tongue, then you decide not to. (I'm amused by how you decide to change your comments.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I'm so proud of the chicken named after me... not. ;)

    poor Bryn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "the neighbor, who makes cars
    had never seen the dog in his life so Tasha tied him to a tree
    (the dog, that is)"

    LOL

    I'm glad you clarified. I would've been concerned if Tasha had tied your neighbor to a tree. :D

    ReplyDelete