Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tantum Gloriam Dei

I’ve just been rereading a favorite blog and hoping that the writer of it will post more someday, because, if brief, it is full of wisdom.



I wish I could write well. I can’t manage to express myself on paper in the way my thoughts go and in speaking I’m even worse. For a while, I thought that I had an unfixable problem, but I think I was wrong and I believe I’ve found what the hitch is. It’s that I need more words. I need un-everyday words (the dictionary kind) to describe subtle ideas and feelings; words that fit perfectly and run merrily together, the special kind that distinguish one writer from another, and a small supply of common ones won’t do. I think that if I want to cause my readers satisfaction, if I am to be a writer, I need to know how to write well (and by ‘write well’ I mean that I need to understand how a sentence goes together and how exactly punctuation works and, most importantly, I need more words).
Another cause for my problem is that I've not read deep enough or broad enough to be universally relevant, or, in fact, to be knowledgeable enough to write at all. How dare I make people listen to me, when I have nothing to say.



I feel that, at my age, the age of graduating from high-school, I know less than half of what I wish I’d learned when, as a child, I didn’t want to. I can name fifty books that I wish I’d read instead of Enid Blyton’s The Famous Five, or that unending series, The Boxcar Children. I know better now; I’ve learned my lesson. I hope I will not make the same mistake, if God gives me a second chance. I begin to understand, as I, and my life, develop into that of an adult, how children don’t (or can't) comprehend the value of time and the freedoms of childhood. They think it’ll always be the way it is. When I was very young, I thought that I could always read, if I want to, and then read anything at all, for that matter. Now I say to that child, no, you can’t! It’s impossible. We are mortal; we have time limits and expiry dates. Know, while you are young, that there are only so many years in your life to dedicate to learning, before it’s too late; before it’s over. If I’d known what my talents were and what I wanted to achieve as a child (if only I were wiser), then I’d have known how long it’d take for me to learn how to develop them and to achieve it and, if I were wiser, I’d have spent every precious minute in preparation, not to waste one, in order to fulfill my singular purpose as a wretched human being renewed by the blood of Christ.



 I suppose that childhood is God’s gift to us: a gift of time. And, I believe that I am meant to serve and exalt Him with my WHOLE life and with ALL my time and with EVERYTHING I own, using my gifts that He has given to me. He has given each of us specific gifts, and our job on this earth, I believe, is to find what that gift is that we have been given and to polish it as a diamond, in the time that He has lent us, so that we might offer the most possible glory to our Father who gives us grace, despite all our works being ugly in sin, because this is why we are here, right now. This is why God made us. He brought us into being in order to bring glory to Himself, because He is jealous and proud, in perfection. I can’t understand. I must only obey, because I deserve nothing. No, I deserve worse than nothing: I deserve death in eternity.



Now, look at what I’ve been given. I can’t give it back. I am in debt.



I hope you can bear with my rambling on in this less than comfortable way. I don’t know how to write plainly. If I’m right, a blog is like a journal, only it’s public (which is, again, less than comfortable), and a journal is for thoughts and thoughts, as I know them, are rarely polished and never perfect.



I’ll end now, for lack of anything good to say.


In Christ,
Taralyn Rose



6 comments:

  1. I went through a similar change in the way I view my reading time, too. Once upon a time, I would read for hours on end, and only what pleased me. It didn't matter if the book won awards or taught good history, if the first chapter bored me, down it went in favor of the next animal story or fairy tale.

    I don't necessarily regret reading what I read (a lot of it was good stuff), but I do wish I had had more focus and purpose. Nowadays I consider every hour I read a privileged piece of time, and it's hard to spent too much time reading "fluff" since I know there are so many good books I'll never get to.

    Lord, help us use the time well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, precisely. Thanks for understanding and putting it in that wonderful way you write =P

    Tantum Gloriam Dei-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with my writing too - styles and words and whatnot. Keep on keeping on! I do think you have something to say, and the best way to learn to write is to write a LOT. You'll write some nonsense along the way, certainly. It's just part of process. Be brave enough to get through it, scrap the bad bits and get back into it.

    Wasn't it C.S. Lewis that said if you write truth 9 times out of 10 it'll be original? You write truthfully and I hope you don't lose the intricacies that make your writing undeniably YOU.

    Also, I read too many of the boxcar children books too. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tina.

    I'll keep on [and you must too!]. It's good to know that I'm not the only one with writer troubles =P

    Thanks for reading, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the quote!

    "Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."

    (Somehow C. S. Lewis always says it best.)

    Your writing is lovely, Taralyn. You have a strong "author voice" that flavors everything you post here, and I like it. It's especially golden when you talk about Africa.

    As for getting older and learning lessons... I remember crying miserably as I hung up my robe after my graduation ceremony, because I wasn't ready, because this was It, because I needed more time, more training, more preparation for all this Real Life As A Big Person that was magically to come upon me after high school. But to my surprise, relief, and yes, frustration (sometimes), it really doesn't end or begin there. Some of my biggest life lessons (so far) took place when I was 19, and each year after that has brought new shifts in perspective. I'm constantly in a state of amazement as my process of sanctification continues, sabotaging me when I least expect it. It's wonderfully humbling. :) It's also encouraging to realize that I'm never "done" - that the Lord isn't finished with me yet. It gives me hope.

    Further up, and further in!

    And hey, I still enjoy my fluff books (in moderation). :) I'll use another handy C. S. Lewis quote in my defense:

    "I would make it a rule to eradicate from my patient any strong personal taste which is not actually a sin, even if it is something quite trivial such as a fondness for county cricket or collecting stamps or drinking cocoa. Such things, I grant you, have nothing of virtue them; but there is a sort of innocence and humility and self-forgetfulness about them which I distrust. The man who truly and disinterestedly enjoys any one thing in the world, for its own sake, and without caring twopence what other people say about it, is by that very fact fore-armed against some of our subtlest modes of attack. You should always try to make the patient abandon the people or food or books he really likes in favour of the 'best' people, the 'right' food, the 'important' books. I have known a human defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." - The Screwtape Letters

    And with that I'll end my novel-length comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thank you, C.S. Lewis! You do say things best.

    Thanks, Faith. Honestly, that's so very encouraging. I didn't expect such a nice comment! You and Tina made my day =))

    Yup, it doesn't end here, and for this I am thankful.

    I have my fluffy friends, too. I don't think life would be the same without some of them (then again, it is important to choose the kind of friends that will help me become who I am meant to be). I believe writers are part children and innocently enjoy childish things and that's one of the important gifts of a writer.

    I didn't say it well, not like C.S. Lewis =)

    ReplyDelete