Friday, July 6, 2012

"That Is Why I Love Her..."

Today is my parents' 27th Wedding Anniversary. I wanted to post a poem Dad wrote for Mom, but discovered there are four poems in all and can't decide which to copy out since each one is as good as the next and if you read them in backwards order they tell a story... 



2009

Twenty-four years we've dwelt as one flesh,
Yet the last night on my own remains so fresh.
Tossing and turning in my office/bedroom,
Overjoyed by the fact I was almost a groom.

So lovely the image of the one I'd soon wed,
Sleep couldn't slay what swirled in my head.
Beautiful locks in golden cascades,
Shining and dancing and holding my gaze.

A stare of azure and the twitch of a grin,
Filling my heart to bursting again.
Too slow in coming, the anticipated dawn,
Where troth and love were going to be sworn.

I tossed, I turned, and I begged the clock,
To desist from its sluggish, tormenting mock.
Speed on the day that for me was ordained,
To share in the mystery of a man with his maid.

Entering the room with the first morning gleam,
Came the one I'd been watching in a sweet dream.
In a gown of soft yellow and with sparkling eyes,
She cared naught for traditions, if they were lies.

I remember so clearly it could be yesterday,
My yearning and aching till 'I do' I could say.
True love was the gown on that distant morn,
Whose beauty increases the longer it's worn.
                                                       D.G.C.


   Dad


 Mom

2008

The Purpose of Marriage

It was the Triune counsel from all eternity,
That first declared this awesome mystery.
Where God, to display His gracious redemption,
Ordained the bond of one man and one woman.

His glory He proclaimed by the precious union,
When Adam and Eve joined in holy communion.
Intertwined together the two were made one,
So a single vision from God could be done.

By the principles of love and sacred submission,
God promised success to this holy commission.
No family will ever be torn asunder,
When the life of each one is devoted to the other.

Completeness and joy so fill my whole being,
Because of the mercy and grace of our King.
He has through salvation made me to reign,
And provided a help-meet for this worthy campaign.

My gratitude to God is earnest and deep,
For the wife He predestined at my side to keep.
Her beauty, though great, is much deeper than skin,
It exudes from a heart wholly given to the King.

One passion she has and this her whole prize,
To do the Lord's will despite those who despise.
As we labor by faith, joined hand in hand,
The enemy's gates will never withstand.

The arrows the Lord's put within our quiver,
Are for us to mould and into the fray deliver.
Our children's children we have in our view,
That God's holy covenants they too will pursue.
                                                         D.G.C.
                                 




2007

Far More Than Rubies

It hasn't been easy, the road that we've trod,
But the path has been ordained by God.
"My ways are not yours" His word clearly says,
And this has been the sum of our days.

When I reflect upon time that has gone,
My greatest joy is that your heart I won.
His grace has been real and His mercy too,
And it's this alone that's kept me true.

Your passion to do the whole of God's truth,
Outweighs any treasure that man can produce.
The determination to give submission and respect,
Has made our home a fortress, not a tent.

In helping me shape the arrows we hold,
I've clearly seen God's mystery unfold.
Where our love for each other and for our King,
Unites in one harmonious ring.

So I tell you anew that my heart you fill,
As we stand together to do God's will.
And so to the Lord I direct all my thanks,
For the wife who serves with me in His ranks.

My prayer and my hope forever shall be,
That our heart's remain focused on eternity.
And while I have breath, I assure you my love,
No one but Christ over you is above.
                                           D.G.C.






This one he wrote for her birthday in 2007. It's her favorite.

   A Godly Wife

     The worldly qualities for a wife,
     Are the cause of so much strife:
--depression from striving after empty ambition,
--wondering eyes searching for a better specimen.

    God's word presents a different figure,
And blessed is the man who attains this treasure:
   --submissive in spirit, hungry for wisdom,
   --and single-minded vision for the Kingdom.


My wife to be sure came from Heaven's mould,
And naught but grace makes her mine to hold:
    --more precious by far than gold or rubies,
    --a friend and excellent crown she is.

  That is why I love her,
   And thank the Lord for each passing year:
        --she faithfully stands at my side,
--and trusts in Christ who alone can Guide.
                                               D.G.C.




Happy 27th Anniversary!



                                                                             
 [Flower photos courtesy of Tasha]


6 comments:

  1. Hey Taralyn ?!?!!!

    *Liking the poems* Ur dads a real good writer. :)

    Shush

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically, your dad is amazing. =) Praise God for all He's done with your parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord for bringing your parents together, for working in their lives, for blessing them with some amazing children, and bringing you all to the US.

    So, so, so thankful for them.

    ~Bree

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so cute! How sweet of you to post this, Taralyn. Thank you for sharing!

    Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dad is quite a poet. You must've inherited your writing ability from him. :)

    Has he written any poems since 2009 (on any spiritually related topic)? I'd hate to see such talent go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments! I agree with you all :-)

    Conrad- My dad hasn't written any more poems that I know of. I agree. I told him he should and then we could publish them. He. :)

    ReplyDelete