Saturday, May 21, 2011

Dinner Talk

Ever since I can remember, we’ve gotten Dad to tell us his snake prank story.
I remember hearing it in Zimbabwe many times, sitting around our dining room table after a meal of rice and chicken or sadza and relish. We used to say, “Tell us a story of when you were naughty.”
And he’d say, “I was never naughty!”
Then he’d tell the snake story (among others).
It’s not much of a story, but for some reason we like hearing it...again and again.


Here is the hundredth retelling:

Me: Tell the snake one.

Dad: Snakey Snakey it’s called. Do the proper names, Taralyn. How we supposed to know what you’re talking about?

[Serious now]
Dad: We used to make snakes out of different things, but the best was a pair of pantie hose.

[Laughter]

Tasha: Who’s? Your Mom’s or your sister’s?

Calvin: Was it like a double snake?

Dad: You cut one leg off and fill it with newspaper and make this long, fat snake.

Mom: You didn’t use rubber snakes?

Dad: We didn’t always have rubber snakes. But we did it at night time, not the daytime. We couldn’t do it in the daytime. You’d tie a piece of string around the neck of the snake and pull it across the road. When a car came past, they’d reverse over it, backward and forward, killing the snake. But the best was if there was someone walking, or on a bicycle at night. Then we would: [rubs hands together with a naughty grin]. You couldn’t pull it out too fast, because if the person was too far away, he'd just stop and turn around and go back. So, they needed to be quite close and you’d pull it out and: “Maiwe!!”* They’d jump and if they’re carrying stuff, they would drop their stuff. Once, the string got caught on a man’s bicycle somehow, so the snake was now chasing him. That was a funny one, ‘cause he was peddling as fast as he could go and that snake was still coming.

Mom: At least my sister and I only did it once, because we felt really bad. The little girl dropped her—

Me: You had a little conscience.

Mom: She was carrying her little can of water on her head. She dropped it and went, “Amayi! Amayi! [Mother, mother]

Dad: Yeah, but we didn’t do it to such people.

Mom: We felt really bad.

Dad: We wouldn’t have pulled the snake if we saw a little girl with—

[Drowned out by laughter]

Tasha: Oh yes you would.

Dad: Well being in the town, that wasn’t something that happened, so we weren’t tested, but I’m sure our consciences were such that we would not have done it.

Taralyn: Only to old men on bikes.

Dad: Only to old men on bikes who could have had heart attacks.

[Laughter]

Dad: So we would go’n hid in the bushes and do that. We did it many times.

Mom: We only did it once.

Taralyn: Do you remember any other?

Dad: Oh, they were all pretty similar, you know, the reactions are very...

Mom: Then it gets old?

Dad: Yeah.





*Shona equivalent to, "Ahhh!




Let me know what you think =) I always enjoy eavesdropping (not in a bad way) on dinnertime conversations. They can be so funny.


Taralyn Rose~

  

5 comments:

  1. giggle. I love it!! I have glowing memories of you guys sitting around *our* dinner table, and the lot of us listening to your dad's amazing Africa stories. I wish somebody would write his story down! Thanks for sharing... I hope to hear more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!
    You don't know how excited I was to sign in and see 4 comments!!! awaiting moderation =P
    You made my day, Lola =)

    You ever gone downtown to get fingerprinted? Well, I'm working on a Zimbabwe version of that process, told by my Father ;)

    T~Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol That was great! =D

    (I wanna hear the fingerprinting story!)

    -K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taralyn,

    Why were y'all in Zimbabwe? Were y'all missionaries there or are is your dad from there?

    Funny story!

    Have you had your recital and your audition yet?

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jessica!

    We were all born there, my mom, dad, grannys, grandpas...all my ancestors (back to 1670) were born there.
    So you could consider us missionaries to America. lol! (and we're staying ;)

    I'm glad you like it =) I love Dad's stories

    Well...the recital has been delayed (it was going to be on the 27th) and I have decided not to audition after all. I've got such a lot on my plate right now, maybe another day though...
    Thanks for asking!

    Taralyn Rose~

    ReplyDelete