Thursday, June 2, 2011

Missing My Zimbabwe


I can’t stop thinking about it
because my cousins came
and they brought a bit of it with them.
If you live there, it gets into your blood and it never goes away. There's a certain beauty of it which you can’t see in a picture and it can only be felt in your heart.
My cousins live there in Zimbabwe and they understand. We grew up together, playing in Inyanga, then we were separated for eight years. Now that we’re back together, it’s like we were never apart; we picked up where we left off and we get along so well, because we have a long history and mutual friends.
Yet, it’s surreal, as if it isn’t them, only some other people I know somehow. Like imaginary friends I finally get to meet. It’s sort of a miracle:
Born in Poland and Africa
living our lives in Zimbabwe
saying goodbye forever and then
meeting eight years later in America.
It seems impossible.

I’m blessed with so much. I love my cousins and my family and my countries.
America is my home, but my heart will always be in Africa.

I don’t know how to describe what’s happening. This is the best I can do for now. 
As you can tell, I haven't posted for a while. Many reasons why, but one is because I didn't know how to say what I wanted to say and if I don't think I'll be able to do something, I don't try. It's a bit annoying. 
But, I tell you, I have my Zim accent back! It's the coolest thing. I also have Cockney and British and Scottish and Indian and Shona (Sara (my cousin) and I speak them in the kitchen to amuse ourselves while we make dinner and cut our fingers apart with knives). It's only fun.

It wasn't more than two hours after they arrived, that we began shooting each other up with air soft guns and enjoying it. Nice cousins we have, hey? Maria shot her team mate, my brother, because it was dark and he was a black form running towards her. I shot Sara in the back. We'd made a truce and were hiding behind trees, trying to shoot Davey.
...Anyways, that was fun and I'd better go to bed because we have the ICHE conference tomorrow and I want to be able to listen to Ken Ham, who I've never seen in the flesh before.
Goodnight! Sweet Dreams.

1 comment:

  1. I suppose I do understand. Because after visiting the UK, I realized I could live there and love it... but my heart would always be in America.

    I still want to visit Zim with my official Carlsen tourguides one day. Seeing those cousins of yorn again would be a 'specially nice perk.

    I know you must miss them something dreadful. =|

    ReplyDelete