Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hope Is The Best Word

The children are coming tomorrow to live with us.

And I'm mostly hopeful,
in the hope-filled sense, which is happy.

Excitement.
Isn't that an emotion, but
Hope, isn't that an action?
If someone would ask me
what I think of it all, if I'm excited,
I'll say
yes. I'm excited
reading the story God's writing and
turning the pages wanting to know what happens next.
As for what is expected of me next
(because I am a character in the story, I remember)
as for what I've got to do:
happy, excited, amazed, thrilled, pumped
aren't the words to describe me as I sit in anticipation.
I'm hopeful.
Hope. That's what I am.

Hope is the best word.
Peace is also my favorite. I come to appreciate it the more I look at it.
It's a word that looks tame, on first glance, puffy, or
useless, even
but looking closer I see
it's got the biggest quiet job I know of.
Peace shows up in all of my prayers. I pray for peace for me
and for other people, because
Peace is best cousins with Trust
and Trust makes me drop silly and selfish
and unuseful things
and cling to my Father and when I cling to my Father
then beautiful things happen because the right things get done.

Because, I don't know what to do.

So, I've discovered that Peace is a big word. And so helpful.

And, see, also
when I hope
and trust
and do
then I see good things happening
and then I get excited.
And that's where excited comes from, I think. It comes from an action. Hope.

But this is all rambling. Maybe it doesn't make sense
in so few words
but they're all I can spare
because words are few these days.
I'll go to bed instead.

Goodnight!



3 comments:

  1. I don't know if hope is an action itself. It seems more like the driving motive behind action. It orients you and sets you on a course. If you hope to be a good influence on the kids tomorrow, you prepare the house for them today. Or, if you hope to get to a certain location, you might board the appropriate bus or train, or drive on a certain route. Hope is saying, "This is where I want to go; now how do I get there?"

    Anyway, that's just my take on what hope is. I "hope" all things are well with the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Peace is best cousins with Trust
    and Trust makes me drop silly and selfish
    and unuseful things
    and cling to my Father and when I cling to my Father
    then beautiful things happen because the right things get done."

    That is beautifully said. And I agree with what you said about peace. I must not let the way it gets used nowadays to forget what it means when God gives us peace. Peace that passes all understanding. Peace and love. People twist those words so much.

    ~Bree

    ReplyDelete
  3. Conrad- Thanks! That's another good use for hope. I can see what you mean.
    I still like to also think of hope as an action- that when I'm hoping, I'm doing- that it's not a feeling, but that it's a decision, like faith.
    I'm sure it's a big word and must have any number of meanings and uses.

    Things are going great! God is good.

    Bree- Yes, words are powerful, especially the words God uses, and not to be tossed around lightly (though I am guilty of it).

    ReplyDelete