Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Story of Liberty...

...First published in 1897. 

In this book there are ships, wicked kings, rebellious peasants, martyrs, skirmishes and brave men. It is the most exciting chronological history of America I've ever come across and which any age will enjoy...

America's freedom began, not when we won the War of Independence, but 800 years ago, when all the great men in England, the barons and lords, bishops and men who owned property, rebelled against their tyrannical king, John Lackland, and wrote their demands on a piece of parchment. The cowardly King John signed and sealed the paper without reading it. He did not know that he was giving his people permission to set up a Parliament. This paper was the Magna Charta.


John Wicklif translating the Bible
Our Reformation started with John Wicklif, who translated the Bible into English and preached against the Church of Rome. By his teaching, he roused up the people and made them realize their oppression and that God had given them minds to think! It is because of this that Bibles were put in churches for the commoner and the people learned to read. It is because of the Great Reformers that our Founding Fathers came to America in the first place and that they understood the price of freedom.

In The Story of Liberty, Charles Coffin takes us back to the first spark in the great stiring up of liberty and brings us through to the 1600s, ending off the first volume with the pilgrims landing in America and the first Thanksgiving.

It is number one out of 6 volumes. The other five are all about America and how it got where it is today. I am in book four, and after I finish it I don't think I'll read any farther, because the last two deal with the Civil War and, unfortunately, Charles Coffin writes about it from the complete opposite view to the one I hold.
Anyhow, the man who came out with this publication was from Texas and didn't even bring the last two into print.
(BTW, the set I'm reading is red and not the one pictured up there)

Well, that is my first book review!

Sola Deo Gloria!
~Taralyn Rose~

1 comment:

  1. Hello Taryln!

    You follow my sister's blog (A Picture is Worth). My mom loved your blog, when she saw it, and I do too!

    Thank you for reading her blog. Stop by mine some time!

    In Christ, Jessica

    ReplyDelete