Saturday, April 23, 2011

Lies in the Textbooks

There is something wrong with what I said in my last post. I wonder if you noticed. But then, maybe, like me, you didn't know any better. After all, it's history and Charles Coffin was a Christian and it was written more than 100 year ago. It should be pretty sound...
...so I thought.

I've just read an article by Bojidar Marinov called The Forgotten Clauses of the Magna Carta.
He tells what's not taught in schools about the Great Charter that changed people's view on government.

Contrary to what most people think, the Charter dealt with politics only second.

Take a look at how the main text of the Magna Charta begins:
"First, that we have granted to God, and by this present charter have confirmed for us and our heirs in perpetuity, that the English Church shall be free, and shall have its rights undiminished, and its liberties unimpaired." 
The first thing they do not teach in schools is that the Magna Charta was a Christian document written by the bishops, in particular a bishop named Steven Langton, in order to give the Church freedom to worship as they pleased and not as the king proscribed. They knew that with freedom of worship comes liberty.

Also, they wanted to bring the king and every law that he made under The King, Jesus Christ. They knew that if the king agreed, then every new law he made had to be based upon a higher law.

Our modern schools teach the story of the Magna Charta, but say that it was only a document of personal rights and freedoms made up by the barons. From what I just read, the barons knew of and cared very little for freedom.
They did come on board, though, when the bishop explained.

A document made up purely of legalities would not have lasted or succeeded in the way it did, because without the truth found in God's Word, rights and freedom mean nothing.

I learned something. (Or rather, I was reminded of somthing).
Be careful when you read. Be on guard. Constantly filter things through your Biblical Worldview. The devil is sly and will trip you up where you least expect.

That said, I'm not squashing my book review. I think The Story of Liberty is worthwhile read.
In the end, I guess the only book in the whole wide world that we don't have to be weary of is the Bible =P

Sola Scriptura!
~Taralyn Rose~

No comments:

Post a Comment